Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cleaning with ammonia

So I am going to try something new on here. I spend a lot of free time on Pinterest, sometimes I am on the Pinterest app on my phone @ night and my wheels are just turning all night I cant go to sleep.While my wheels were turning I was thinking, there should be a place where people actully have done these specific projects,ideas or recipes and went through trial & error and shared.So this could either be helpfull to some or could be a shot in the dark. Dont just be a pinner& forget about these great ideas, do them & create great things!!I have seen multiple repins on CLEANING YOUR STOVE TOP WITH AMMONIA.
I have scrubbed and scrubbed my grates and literally spent hours doing it. I told my husband I am going to quit cooking just so I dont have to clean my cooktop. So i tried it and here is what I got =]
 
Things you will need
1.Ammonia only $1.27 @ Walmart
2. trashbags or zip locks for smaller grates
3. duct tape/ or twist ties if you have them  (dust tape was allready in our house so use what you have to seal the bags.
4. rubber gloves (protect your hands) wish I would have, mine a super dry right now
5. green scrubby
6. plastic scrapper
7. Measuring cup

First take amonia, bags, duct tape, measuring cup and grate outside. The smell is STRONG. I had to use trash bags because my grates are larger, I placed each grate in their own individual bag and I used 1/3 cup ammonia in each. Dont worry about saturating the grate in ammonia, apparently the fumes are what breaks down the crud. I had issues with my bags tearing and leaking so I had to double bag them. I twisted the bags shut and used the duct tape to hold it shut. I set them outside overnight about 12 hours. In the morning I opened the bags outside and took the grates to my sink. I took the used bags to our trash so the dog or baby couldnt get it. Use your green scrubbie and plastic scrapper if needed and watch it literally fall off!! I read somewhere all you needed was to spray it off with water, not true, I still had to scrub a little and get in there to get the nooks and crannys. I needed to use my scarpper to get of the really stuck on stuff but didnt use half the elbow grease on scrubbing like I used to. Here is the before and after!! Seriously amasing and so worth it. I guess I will continue to cook, probably gonna try another pinterest recipe I pinned. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment