Thursday, April 5, 2012

Goodbye raw edge mirror

I am pretty fortunate to have a smart and handy husband. We moved in our house over 3 years ago and the house had no up grades and pretty basic stuff and only one color to work with.... WHITE! You name it the counters the floors the bathrooms, everything. Our bathroom is pretty plain so I found a pin that placed tiles around the edge of the mirror to make it more decorative. I found everything I needed at home depot which is starting to be my favorite place to go!
 
Things you will need:
 1. Tiles of your choice enough to cover your mirror. I used 3 sheets costing about $11 each. I have larger mirrors
2.liquid nails and calking gun $4.00.
3.scissors
Total Cost $37

The tiles I bought come on a sheet and have a netting behind it and you cut around the netting to get your tile. Liquid nails means PERMANENT my husband couldn't have stressed that to me enough. I started in one corner and went for it which led me to an issue at the next corner. I needed a smaller piece to fit in the corner.( its in my first picture below) If I would have started by putting a tile in all 4 corners to start I could have worked with the spacing of my tiles to make them fit perfectly. Thank goodness for the husband again. He cut the tiles for me and measured them, which if you dont have the right tools its really a pain. So why not make it easier on  yourself and just avoid what I did.
When you apply the liquid nails you only need a dot the size of a marble. If you get to much it spreads too much and you can see the adhesive in the mirror reflection or it seaps out the sides and makes for messy clean up and its some pretty tough stuff.
It was pretty simple all in all and I am pretty satisfied with it, but I do think there is a way to make it more rustic. I think with our bathroom being white had a lot to do with the outcome. Hope this explains =] If anyone has any suggestions or had something work great for you please let me know =] I am considering doing additional mirrors.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment